Saturday, April 10, 2010

Belle Isle

The weather was so nice today we decided to go on a little adventure. Just north of Detroit there is this place called Belle Isle which consists of a 982 acre island park in the Detroit River. It is the largest Island Park in the United States. It is a huge park and reminds me a lot of Stanley Park in Vancouver except that it is not as crowded. I am sure at one time it was a happening place but with all the budgets cuts it is becoming a little more run down:( but still a cool place to see. They have tons of parks, one that is huge, a free zoo, piers to walk out on and the highlight: lots of beautiful cherry blossoms. It was fun because you could also see Canada from the Island. We went here because some of my friends told me about the cherry blossoms. I have to say that this was quite the experience because we were definitely the minority. One guy kindly told Shawn that it was okay for him to be at the park now... but he would not be safe if he came in the summer. After hanging out at the playground for about 20 mins we all started to feel that it might be a little unsafe. I would go into more details but Shawn thought it would be better if I did not.... Anyways good memories and stories! Let's just say we were happy that there was a group of us. It is really sad what has happened to Detroit. There are huge, massive factory buildings, and homes and building of all sizes, that are completely empty. I wish I had some picture to show you. After spending a couple of hours at the park we ventured into Detroit to eat at a yummy Greek restaurant but because of the Hockey game it was super crowded so we headed to a near by town for some pretty good Mexican food. Overall, a very fun day!

Shawn and Jack at the Pier (Canada is behind them)
This was at the massive Park. Jack was having so much fun!



Cherry Blossoms (so beautiful)

Just having fun! Jack and Hayden are really cute with each other. They loved scooting and rolling down the hill.



My boys
The first animal to meet us at the park (my mom's favorite pet:))
YUCK!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The jeans look so cute on him!

Natalie said...

Cute!

Heidi said...

I like all your outings you guys go on. I want to know more details about that park...ha ha. But whatever it was it sounds scary. I LOVE cherry blossoms. beautiful.

Ben, Telia, Aeden and Eliza said...

These pictures are so cute!!!!